Our elementary Learning Commons is a space designed to inspire students to create, collaborate, and communicate using technology made possible in part by the approval of our recent $76 million bond proposal. In the Learning Commons, students explore a variety of dynamic resources for all students, parents, and faculty to use to facilitate engaged learning.
Students enjoy a quiet study area, flexible work stations for small and large groups, an extensive print and digital resource library, and an ever-growing collection of instructional technologies. Our Learning Commons is staffed by a full-time Media Technician with guidance from a certified Media Specialist. For more information about Instructional Technology at Clarkston Community Schools, please visit the Instructional Technology webpage.
Hours Of Operation
- The Learning Commons is open from 8:30am-3:50pm every day that students are in school.
- Each classroom visits the Learning Commons on a fixed schedule each week for book check out. In addition, students are welcome at any other time with their teacher's permission.
- The remaining time in the week is available for flexible scheduling to allow for collaborative planning between classroom teachers and the media specialist, as well as small group work.
Book Check-out Guidelines
- Kindergarten and first grade students are allowed to check-out one book or magazine per visit.
- Students in second and third grade are allowed to check out two books per visit.
- Students in fourth and fifth grade are allowed to check out three books per visit.
- The loan period for all students is one week.
- Parents are welcome to visit and check-out books at any time. Please let us know that you are here and we will be glad to help you. The loan period for parent check-outs is two weeks.
- We do not charge overdue fines. However, if a book is lost or damaged, we do charge a fee to repair or replace the book. Please read the overdue notices carefully; we try to issue those notices every two weeks.
- If a student has a book overdue for a month or longer, they will not be allowed to check out anything else until that book is paid for or returned.
- Sometimes books are lost and paid for, and then later found. If the item is returned to the media center prior to September 15 of the following school year, a refund will be issued. Books returned after that date will not be refunded, as the money will have been used toward a replacement book.